Friday, August 26, 2011

First Days at SEMS-East



A wonderful but busy couple of days in the books at SEMS-East. We welcomed 430 7th and 8th grade students into the building and I heard nothing but positive comments from teachers, students and staff. It was not perfect, some students could not find their class, some people overslept, and others could not find their bus or remember their locker combination. Throughout the days, I walked in and out of classrooms and noticed one thing; our teachers really love what they do. Students were engaged in what the teachers were saying and generally looked happy to be back in school. When I addressed the 7th grade class on day #2 at their class assembly, I asked them to raise their hand if they had a good day yesterday. I was never so proud to see one hand go up, followed by two more and when it was all counted I think every 7th grader had their hand up and I could see about 215 smiles. The biggest ones coming from the teachers, nurse, counselors and especially me. I understand that our building cannot be perfect everyday or any day for that matter. If the first two days are any example, this 2011-2012 school year is going to be GREAT at SEMS-East.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog